At sunrise he summoned all hands; and separating those who had rebelled from those who had taken no part in the mutiny, he told the former that he had a good mind to flog them all round—thought, upon the whole, he would do so—he ought to—justice demanded it; but for the present, considering their timely surrender, he would let them go with a reprimand, which he accordingly administered in the vernacular.
But as for you, ye carrion rogues, turning to the three men in the rigging—for you, I mean to mince ye up for the try-pots; and, seizing a rope, he applied it with all his might to the backs of the two traitors, till they yelled no more, but lifelessly hung their heads sideways, as the two crucified thieves are drawn.
- Ea mundi altera mei, qui in porro inani.
- Ubique labitur ne mei, vix errem inermis dolores in.
- Nec at malis quidam aeterno et quot iriure qui.
- Quo autem accusamus disputationi ut, natum oportere interpretaris est ei.
- Eam no primis putant similique, ea choro prodesset pro.
For a moment the exhausted mutineer made a tremulous motion of his cramped jaws, and then painfully twisting round his head, said in a sort of hiss, What I say is this—and mind it well—if you flog me, I murder you!